IMPY Awards Terms & Conditions#
IMPY Awards are presented to recognise and reward the most creative Dreams and Dreamers. An eligible Dreams and Dreamers can be nominated for any of the 21 award categories.
|9 Dec 2019||Nominations open at 5PM GMT and can be made via SurveyMonkey(opens in new tab).|
|13 Dec 2019||Nominations close.|
|14 Dec 2019||Media Molecule, the developers of Dreams, to review nominations and create a shortlist of Dreams and Dreamers.|
|9 - 15 Jan 2020||Creators of shortlisted Dreams and shortlisted Dreamers will be contacted for confirmation that they wish to participate for a chance to win an IMPY Award!|
|16 Jan 2020||Final shortlist of Dreams and Dreamers to be announced. The list will be available here at 5PM GMT.|
|16 Jan 2020||Voting opens at 5PM GMT for the categories where the winner is selected by the Dreams coMmunity (herein referred to as "CoMmunity Categories"). You can vote here. Shortlisted Dreams and Dreamers for all other categories of IMPY Awards will be considered by a panel of judges.|
|23 Jan 2020||Voting closes for CoMmunity Categories.|
|26 Jan 2020||Winning Dreams and Dreamers to be announced at the IMPY Awards ceremony at 5PM GMT on twitch.tv/media_molecule(opens in new tab).|
Eligible Dreams and Dreamers may be nominated by anyone that is part of the Dreamiverse (herein, a "Nominator"). A Dream is eligible if: (a) it has been created by a resident in a Participating Country (defined below); and (b) it has been, or will be, created and available to play between 1 January and 12 December 2019; (c) it is entirely the Dreamers' original work and does not infringe a third party's intellectual property.
Dreams must not: (i) contain content that is unsuitable for young adults under 18 years of age; or (ii) contain content that is protected by any third party's copyright or other intellectual property rights. The creator of the eligible Dream must comply with the Code of Conduct set out in the PSN Terms of Service(opens in new tab).
A Dreamer is eligible if they: (a) are resident in a Participating Country (defined below); (b) comply the Code of Conduct set out in the PSN Terms of Service(opens in new tab); and (c) they have been active between 1 January and 12 December 2019.
Participating Countries: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Australia, Bahamas, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada (excluding Quebec), Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France (and French Guiana, Martinique, Saint Barthelemy), Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Martin, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vatican City and Venezuela.
The following individuals cannot take part in the IMPY Awards: (a) employees of Media Molecule; (b) employees of agents or suppliers of Media Molecule, who are professionally connected with the competition or its administration; or (c) members of the immediate families or households of (a) and (b) above.
All nominations for all award categories must be made via the nomination site(opens in new tab) from 5 December 2019.
Nomination deadline is: 12 December 2019. Following this date, the nomination site will be closed.
Nominators must nominate one Dream or Dreamer for each award category. The submissions should be for those Dreams or Dreamers which the Nominator feels have made a significant creative contribution to the Dreamiverse within the relevant award category.
The IMPY Award categories are as follows:
- Creator of the Year
- Which Dreams creator has impressed you the most during Early Access?
- Dream of the Year
- Throughout Early Access we've played as a pig detective, experienced museums brought to life, travelled to distant worlds and SO much more. What's YOUR Dream of the Year?
- Best Visuals
- There are Dreams that push the tools to new graphical heights and Dreams that showcase incredible art styles - what is your pick for best visuals of the year?
- Best Narrative
- Dreams is full of amazing stories, whether they're interactive or not. We've laughed, cried and wondered "what's next?" so many times we've lost count! What's been your favourite story told in the Dreamiverse?
- Best Sculpture
- There are enough gorgeous sculptures in the Dreamiverse to fill a museum (or seven!), plenty of which have made Kareem go "OMG"! Which sculpture has taken your breath away?
- Best Song
- The musical ability on display in the Dreamiverse is jaw-dropping. Which banger, bop or jam has been your favourite?
- Best Animation
- Whether it's the motions of a character, the way a scene unfolds or the movements of an enemy, animations help bring creations to life! What's made you want to watch over and over again?
- Best Gameplay
- What's been your ultimate "okay, one more go" mini-game, or a platformer so slick and smooth that you've hit replay the minute you reached the end?
- Best Curator
- Collections in the Dreamiverse are key to helping uncover hidden gems, or displaying your interests front and centre. Whose Collections have helped you discover your favourite Dreams creations, or given you the assets to put the finishing touches to your own?
- Best Character
- Mini superheroes, deadly creatures or even friendly giants! The Dreamiverse is home to a wealth of amazing characters, but who's your favourite?
- Best Sound Design
- Great sound design instantly levels up a game or brings a scene to life. Which creation's sound design has wowed you?
- Funniest Creation
- Which creation made you LOL? We're giggling away just thinking of a few right now!
- CoMmunity Star
- (CoMmunity Category) - This award could belong to a streamer, a creator, a curator, a fan-site editor - you name them, and we'll put the list together!
- Best Voice Acting
- (CoMmunity Category) - Voice acting in the Dreamiverse has brought to life so many characters and stories. Who is your favourite golden-voiced coMmunity member?
- Hidden Gem Dream
- (CoMmunity Category) - Which creation deserves it's time in the sun that it may not have had yet? Have you been surfing through a Collection and uncovered a hidden treasure in Early Access?
- Hidden Gem Creator
- (CoMmunity Category) - Is there a Creator hiding themselves away that you'd love to see up in the spotlight? Maybe you stumbled upon their creations by accident!
- Favourite Streamer
- (CoMmunity Category) - We love ALL our amazing Dreams streamers but we're leaving this one up to YOU. Who have you tuned in to time and time again this year?
- Most Helpful Dreamer
- (CoMmunity Category) - Dreams has an amazing coMmunity of teachers who create kits to build with, make online tutorials or stream their top tips - who takes the prize for the most helpful dreamer?
- The Wish-I-Had-Thought-Of-That-Award
- Is there something in the Dreamiverse that's impressed you so much that you wish you had done it first? Or perhaps something clicked with you the minute you saw someone else do it?
- The 'Aww-ward'
- We'd give this award to absolutely every cat and big-eyed robot in the Dreamiverse if we could... but it's up to you to decide the absolute cutest creation.
- Most Improved Dreamer
- Which Dreamer has upped their Dreams game from their first creation till now? This award celebrates someone whose skills have noticeably improved.
Note: An award category may not run in a given year if fewer than 10 nominations are received.
All nominations received by 12 December 2019 will be grouped together into their entered categories and considered by a panel of experts within Media Molecule.
The top five Dreams across each category or Dreamers will be included on the Final Nominee Shortlist subject to agreement by its creator(s) ("Final Nominees"). All decisions made by Media Molecule are final and no correspondence will be entered into as to why particular nominations were not included on the Final Nominee Shortlist.
Nominations for each category will always be listed in alphabetical order.
Creators of shortlisted Dreams and shortlisted Dreamers will be contacted on 9 January 2020. To participate in the final round, Dreamers must confirm:
- acceptance to be included on the Final Nominee Shortlist;
- their Dreams content, relevant to the award category, is entirely their original work;
- their Dreams content, relevant to the award category, does not infringe a third party's intellectual property;
- they are happy to appear, and/or for their work to appear, during the IMPY Awards Ceremony and within all other IMPY Award related publicity/marketing materials; and
- that they will not rig votes or otherwise act dishonestly.
To be Final Nominees, Dreamers must confirm the above by 12:00 GMT on 14 January 2020.
Where a Dreamer is unable to confirm the above by 12:00 GMT on 14 January 2020, the next top Dreamer, or creator of a Dream, in that category will be eligible to be included on the final shortlist and will contacted. Responses must be received by 23:59 GMT on 15 January 2020. By responding, Dreamers are agreeing to be bound by these rules.
Dreamers will be contacted via an email to the email address linked to their PSN account.
Media Molecule will not accept responsibility for any responses that are not received for any reason.
Media Molecule reserves all rights to disqualify a Dreamer if their conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the IMPY Awards.
Judging & Voting#
The Final Nominees will be announced one week before the awards ceremony at 5PM GMT on 16 January 2020 on indreams.me.
For CoMmunity Categories, the Dreamiverse can begin voting for their favourite from 5PM GMT on 16 January 2020! Each member of the Dreamiverse should only vote once for each award category. Voting will close on 23 January 2020. The Final Nominee with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the Dreams will be submitted to the panel of 5 judges who are judging the competitive IMPY Award categories and the decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) will be final.
The CoMmunity Categories are:
- CoMmunity Star: This award could belong to a streamer, a creator, a curator, a fan-site editor - you name them, and we'll put the list together!
- Best Voice Acting: Voice acting in the Dreamiverse has brought to life so many characters and stories. Who is your favourite golden-voiced coMmunity member?
- Hidden Gem Dream: Which creation deserves it's time in the sun that it may not have had yet? Have you been surfing through a Collection and uncovered a hidden treasure in Early Access?
- Hidden Gem Creator: Is there a Creator hiding themselves away that you'd love to see up in the spotlight? Maybe you stumbled upon their creations by accident!
- Favourite Streamer: We love ALL our amazing Dreams streamers but we're leaving this one up to YOU. Who have you tuned in to time and time again this year?
- Most Helpful Dreamer: Dreams has an amazing coMmunity of teachers who create kits to build with, make online tutorials or stream their top tips - who takes the prize for the most helpful dreamer?
For the competitive IMPY Award categories, the work of the Final Nominees will be judged by a panel of five judges based on the criteria outlined below. The decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) will be final.
The full names of the judges is available to anyone who writes within 30 days of the IMPY Award Ceremony (26 January 2020) requesting details of the judges and who encloses a self-addressed envelope to the following address: Media Molecule, PO BOX 1127, Guildford, GU1 9LW.
- Creator of the Year: A creator whose content is recognised as outstanding by both Mm and CoMmunity. Consistent in their work, or someone who has developed throughout Early Access and is now a known name in Dreams.
- Dream of the Year: Must be a fully realised Dream with criteria that might make it outstanding in a combination of other categories as well.
- Best Visuals: Truly eye-catching. Utilises the Dreams art tools suite to the best of its ability. An original work.
- Best Narrative: An engaging, well rounded story. Has a beginning, middle and an end.
- Best Sculpture: Finely detailed. Expert use of the tools.
- Best Song: 100% made in Dreams using the audio tools. Catchy, complex or genre-bending, a shining example of what can be done with the tools.
- Best Animation: An animation Mm would use to demonstrate the capabilities of the animation tools. Shows originality and skill with the animation tools.
- Best Gameplay: Refined gameplay mechanics, feels like a complete game. Implements unique and well-rounded ideas. Feels professional!
- Best Curator: A Dreams user who has best embraced the role of a 'Curator' – someone who gather together Dreams creations to be shared (Games, assets, logic etc) around the rest of the CoMmunity.
- Best Character: A fully realised character with animation, full visual style and possibly audio. Original and one-of-a-kind.
- Best Sound Design: Well developed sound within a creation. Something that truly brings to life a creation. Could be: atmospheric audio, sound effects etc.
- Funniest Creation: Makes people laugh. Great comedic timing. Can be a Dream, a character, a song, there is not a restriction on what the asset is.
- The Wish-I-Had-Thought-Of-That Award: A creation that leaves you thinking 'I wish I had thought of that!' (I.E. a clever use of the tools, an original concept). This can be something that pushes past the Dreams tech, uses the game in a clever way, or is just incredibly unique.
- The 'Awww-ward': A beloved creation due to its appearance or message. Could be: a sculpture, a game, a song, something that incites a reaction of happiness, kindness, love etc.
- Most Improved Dreamer: A Dreamer whose creation has vastly improved over the course of Early Access.
Winning Dreams and Dreamers for each award category will be announced at the IMPY Awards Ceremony. A complete list of winners will be kept on indreams.me.
Winners will be contacted prior to the IMPY Awards Ceremony between 24 January 2020 and 25 January 2020.
Media Molecule must either publish or make available information that indicates that a valid award took place. To comply with this obligation Media Molecule will publish the surname and county of winners and, if applicable, their winning entries on indreams.me on 26 January 2020. If a winner objects to their surname, county and/or winning entry being published or made available, please contact Media Molecule email@example.com. In such circumstances, the Media Molecule must still provide the information and winning entry to the Advertising Standards Authority on request.
Final Nominees will receive an in-game badge to add to their nominated content or profile.
Winners will receive: a winner's in-game badge to add to their winning content or profile and a physical IMPY Award. In-game badges have no monetary value and are non-transferrable. The physical IMPY award is worth £250.00 (approximately, 328 US dollars or 296.44 euros) and no cash alternative will be provided. In order to receive the physical IMPY Award, winners will need to provide a postal address. Media Molecule will ask for this information when they notify winners between 24 January 2020 and 25 January 2020. If you do not provide an address by 29 February 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org, your claim to receive the physical IMPY Award will become invalid.
The IMPY Award remains the property of Media Molecule and is to remain in the care of the recipient or his/her descendants. The IMPY Award must not be sold on to any third party.
Media Molecule of Media Molecule, PO BOX 1127, Guildford, GU1 9LW is the promoter of the IMPY Awards.
If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these rules, Media Molecule may, at its sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude you from participating in the IMPY Awards.
These rules shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
The Dreams User Guide is a work-in-progress. Keep an eye out for updates as we add more learning resources and articles over time.