Back in September 2021, we released a batch of updates focused on Dreams’ Create mode, introducing a host of exciting changes and improvements to our creative toolset. Since then, we’ve thrown a Halloween extravaganza, released Ancient Dangers - A Bat’s Tale, held the 3rd Annual Impys and so much more! Now it’s time to set our eyes on Create Mode once again! We’ve got everything from new calculator options, a NEW FLECK TYPE (really!) to new gadgets, a new tool and so much in between! It’s the good stuff.
There’s a lot going on in this update, so settle in and get ready to be informed and excited. Oh - and please remember to give the in-game tooltips a jolly good read, because if we explained everything in detail here it’d be a wall o’ text, and nobody wants that.
There are also a couple of livestreams available, where the relevant Molecules give y’all the skinny on all these new toys!
- Dreams 2.44 Update Preview Stream #1 26th April(opens in new tab)
- Dreams 2.44 Update Preview Stream #2 3rd May(opens in new tab)
As always, if you encounter any issues - or have any questions - let us know on social media or via the Dreams forums(opens in new tab).
New and Improved Gadgets!
- NEW Time & Date Gadget [Sensors & Input] - Detect the current time and date IRL, you say? Why certainly! Pair it with new tweaks in the Sun & Sky gadget to set the sun’s position in your creations! Find out more in the edit mode guide.
- IMPROVED Sun & Sky Gadget [Cameras & Lighting] - A new page of tweaks to let you control the position of the sun with the new Time & Date gadget.
- NEW Wide Calculator Gadget [Logic & Processing] - Need to do calculations with more than two values? Now you can! This baby can have up to 10 inputs! Find out more in the edit mode guide.
- IMPROVED Calculator Gadget [Logic & Processing] - We’ve added heaps of new operations to the calculator, including two whole new pages with trigonometric and vector operations!
New and Improved Tools!
- NEW Bake Emitted Tool [Assembly/Tools] - Emitted objects are temporary, right? Not any more! This new tool takes emitted objects and bakes them into your scene, making them permanent! Find out more in the edit mode guide entry.
- IMPROVED Adjust Detail Tool [Assembly/Tools] - You know the Sculpture Detail tool? Well it’s been renamed. Why? Because now it works on paintings too, reducing the number of flecks to save thermo! Find out more in the edit mode guide entry.
- IMPROVED Clone Tool [Assembly/Tools] - Two improvements!
- Wanted a live clone but forgot to turn on Live Clone? We got you! Use + over a clone to make it a live one after the fact!
- Finding the Live Clone visuals a bit much? Use the new toggle in the context menu to turn them off/on!
- IMPROVED Mic Recording Sync on Timelines [Animate/Mic; Sound/Sound Recorder] - Fed up of manually re-timing the audio you’ve recorded for your creations? Those days are gone! Stamp a mic onto your audio or animation Timeline, record your audio, and it’ll synchronise with your Timeline music/animation! There’s even a count-in!
- Note: We can’t account for everyone’s individual home setup, so we’re also giving you a new My Preferences setting to deal with any input lag. Aren’t we just the best? You’ll find it under Audio/Audio Input. Twiddle this slider to compensate for any latency on your mic.
New and Improved Tweaks!
Featuring a clutch of brand new audio tweaks for sound objects…
- NEW Downsampler Tweak - [Distortion page] This new distortion type gives you a delicious lo-fi effect like an old school video game or sci-fi movie. Yum.
- NEW Legato Tweak [Pitch page] - Love you some legato? Previously you could only do it while performing, but now you can apply it to existing sounds!
- NEW Transpose Tweak [Pitch page] - Want higher quality transposition than the Coarse and Fine tweaks? This literally picks higher/lower notes from the sample library, as if you’d manually moved the notes in the Piano Roll!
- NEW Octave Jitter Tweak [Granular Randomisation page] - Randomises octave changes for thick, cloud-like textures.
And a pile of other amazing tweaky goodies…
NEW Input/Output Values Displayed on Tweaks [Input/output tweaks] - Been using Number Displayers to find out what exactly is going in and out of tweaks? Never again! Input/output tweaks now display the values currently going to/from them in the tweak menus!
- NEW Luma Noise Tweak [Outer Properties page on sculptures] - Turn off/on the built-in colour variation of a sculpture’s flecks, giving them a smoother, more uniform look. If that’s your jam.
- NEW Camera Blocking Mode [Collision Labels page on sculptures] - Camera blocking getting you down? Now you can pick a mode to control how a sculpture blocks the 3rd-person camera - Dynamic, Never and Always.
- NEW Minimum In Scene Size [Settings page on Text/Dialogue Text/Number Displayer] - Set a minimum size for text set to In Scene, so that no matter how far away the camera is, your text won’t be too teeny-tiny to read.
New Easy Conversions!
- NEW Convert to Painting [Context Menu] - Want to know what that gorgeous sculpture would look like as a painting? Select it and hit Convert to Painting. Ta-daaah!
- NEW Convert to FK/Convert to IK [Context Menu] - Made an FK () animation and wish it was IK ()? Or maybe vice versa? Select it and hit Convert to IK or Convert to FK. Done!
A Brand New Fleck!
NEW Opaque Square Fleck [Paint Mode] - For the first time in Dreams history (Dreamstory? Maybe not…) there is a NEW FLECK! We know! It’s a clean, sharp, opaque square! No more fuzzy water!
A New Accessibility Opportunity!
NEW Colour Blindness Filters [Show/Hide Menu] - Lots of folks have some form of colour vision deficiency, and games can be super-frustrating for them. These new Show/Hide filters let you preview how your creations might look for people with different forms of colour blindness. You can even adjust for severity! Try them out and make your creations more inclusive. Find out more in the edit mode guide entry.
A New Boot Image!
Our very own Matt Bergasse (aka mBergs) has created a stunning new boot image for the delight of your eyeballs. Apparently he was planning something related to the new calculator functions and this is what evolved! Look upon it and be joyful.
Other Improvements and Bugfixes
- IMPROVED Animating/Keyframing of more gizmos
- Lots more gizmos will now be recorded if you interact with them while using an Action Recorder or a Keyframe.
- FIXED Variable Scope
- We’ve added two fixes to the Scope tweak on variables based on feedback. Scope will now be ignored if a Variable is set to Persist in Dream; and the Scope tweak will not be greyed-out on a Variable Modifier set to Get.
You’ll need to download this new update in order to reconnect to the Dreams servers! If you have issues with downloading the update, or reconnecting after the download is complete, please let us know by submitting a support ticket.
The Dreams User Guide is a work-in-progress. Keep an eye out for updates as we add more learning resources and articles over time.